Amanda-Users

Re: Pornography

2003-03-21 05:38:41
Subject: Re: Pornography
From: Scott Mcdermott <smcdermott AT questra DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 04:16:20 -0500
Warning: bullshit rant follows.  Delete at will please,
totally off topic.

Mitch Collinsworth on Thu 20/03 17:31 -0500:
> Have we reached the point yet where the spam discussion
> has generated more list messages today than all the spam
> that's crossed it in the past year?

Thank you for injecting some sanity.

Sorry, I get carried away.  I'm strongly opinionated about
spam.  In one sense, it's just the same as any old salesman
coming up to you in a store: something you have to learn to
deal with if you agree to live in a capitalist society.  In
another sense, it's junk I want to get rid of.

I don't personally mind the spam; I've calculated that it
only takes me six seconds per day to delete the spam (it's
all very easy to identify; I get about 30-50 per day).  What
bothers me is when people post to the list and say that the
list should be moderated, or that someone should be doing
post filtering on every single list, rather than the end
recipients doing UCE filtering (however they want to
implement it), which covers ALL their mail.

Spam is everyone's problem, and when people try to insist
that someone else should take care of it for them, I really
take offense (although I should not, admittedly).
Especially when they bully someone else with threats of
legal action, and "threaten" to disjoin the list.

Good riddens...if censorship and oppression are a good
tactic for government recipients, then get the hell off our
community list.

Sorry, I'm just a lurking, rare poster, but I've been doing
this for a number of years and it really bothers me when
someone takes this free, volunteer assistance for granted
and tries to make it live up to their rules.  They might be
accustomed to having anti-porn rules shoved down their
throat, but that's their CHOICE to work for such an entity,
and they have no business forcing it down MY throat, or any
other list recipient.

I just get ornery when this happens; sorry to fill your
inbox with even more junk, but I feel that it's important to
point out since this same lesson carries over to innumerable
similar lists.