Amanda-Users

Re: Pornography

2003-03-20 18:41:13
Subject: Re: Pornography
From: Richard Morse <remorse AT partners DOT org>
To: Scott Mcdermott <smcdermott AT questra DOT com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 17:16:06 -0500
On Thursday, March 20, 2003, at 03:42  PM, Scott Mcdermott wrote:

Marty Shannon, RHCE on Thu 20/03 13:50 -0500:
*All* lists *I'm* on -- with the exception of this one --
do not permit any access by non-subscribers (except to
subscribe, of course).

Agreed.  This is standard practice on most lists and cuts
down radically on direct spam to the list itself.  There is
no reason someone should not want to subscribe to the list
to post.  It doesn't stifle openness either...not sure what
argument there is for that.  No one is preventing a
subscriber from posting or delaying his post.  And in most
cases the subscription process takes less than a minute.

So, I just wanted to chime in: freebsd is another list that doesn't require subscription to send a message. Why? This allows you to say "if you have any questions, please email xxxx AT xxxx DOT org". You don't have to subscribe, you don't have to know you're getting to a list, etc.

Several technical lists do things this way.

Now, is this desired is another question. Do we want to make AMANDA approachable to all users? Or should we look only for those admins who have the technical knowledge to subscribe to a mailing list, and understand the implications. I don't know...

FWIW, I prefer to let users take care of filtering, and make a resource available, but that make be too idealistic a point of view for the modern world...

Ricky