Amanda-Users

Re: Pornography

2003-03-20 15:55:27
Subject: Re: Pornography
From: Scott Mcdermott <smcdermott AT questra DOT com>
To: "'amanda-users AT amanda DOT org'" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 14:19:54 -0500
Marty Shannon, RHCE on Thu 20/03 12:46 -0500:
> That's very odd.  All the spam I get is through the list
> -- porn or otherwise.

I don't get any spam off the amanda-users list either btw.

What must be happening is that the spammers are forging
from-headers and sending to addresses they have harvested
form the list.  They forge the from-header to look like the
address of the email system that sends out the mails to the
recipients they harvested.

This isn't unusual.  I'm sure there are automatons sitting
on the list collecting addresses, and anyone that has gotten
a mail from the list knows where they are sent from.