Amanda-Users

Re: Pornography

2003-03-20 17:09:52
Subject: Re: Pornography
From: "Marty Shannon, RHCE" <mshannon AT domovina DOT org>
To: Scott Mcdermott <smcdermott AT questra DOT com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 15:20:22 -0500
Scott Mcdermott wrote:

> Marty Shannon, RHCE on Thu 20/03 12:46 -0500:
> > That's very odd.  All the spam I get is through the list
> > -- porn or otherwise.
>
> I don't get any spam off the amanda-users list either btw.
>
> What must be happening is that the spammers are forging
> from-headers and sending to addresses they have harvested
> form the list.  They forge the from-header to look like the
> address of the email system that sends out the mails to the
> recipients they harvested.

No, I've checked.  The spam is being sent through the list mail server,
suggesting that omniscient.com has enabled foreign relaying.  The spam does not
have the normal set of headers you would expect from a legitimate list message,
but it does have a legitimate origin in omniscient.com.  Perhaps they're not as
omniscient as they think?  :-)

        Marty
--
Marty Shannon, RHCE (@ home)