Amanda-Users

tapelist and tape order

2003-01-17 21:48:29
Subject: tapelist and tape order
From: DK Smith <dks AT MediaWeb DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 18:13:31 -0800
I finally determined why my tape order is not what I expected. (by looking at
the tapelist file). I do not recall why my tape order managed to get into this
state... When I originally set things up, *i thought* the tapes were in
order...

I was seeing...

##

Tues: DailySet1 AMANDA MAIL REPORT FOR January 14, 2003

These dumps were to tape DailySet1-01.
The next tape Amanda expects to use is: DailySet1-02.

##

Wed: DailySet1 AMANDA MAIL REPORT FOR January 15, 2003

These dumps were to tape DailySet1-02.
The next tape Amanda expects to use is: DailySet1-03.

##

Thur: DailySet1 AMANDA MAIL REPORT FOR January 16, 2003

These dumps were to tape DailySet1-03.
*** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [[writing filemark: I/O error]].
Some dumps may have been left in the holding disk.
Run amflush to flush them to tape.
The next tape Amanda expects to use is: DailySet1-05.

##

Fri: DailySet1 AMANDA MAIL REPORT FOR January 16, 2003

These dumps were to tape DailySet1-05.
The next tape Amanda expects to use is: DailySet1-06.

##

After (finally) taking a look at my tapelist in the configuration, I realized
the reason for change in order of use that I observed:

20030117 DailySet1-06 reuse
20030116 DailySet1-05 reuse
20030116 DailySet1-03 reuse
20030116 DailySet1-02 reuse
20030114 DailySet1-01 reuse
20030113 DailySet1-15 reuse
20030110 DailySet1-07 reuse
20030109 DailySet1-04 reuse
20030108 DailySet1-16 reuse
20030107 DailySet1-14 reuse
20030106 DailySet1-13 reuse
20030103 DailySet1-12 reuse
20030102 DailySet1-11 reuse
20030101 DailySet1-10 reuse
20021231 DailySet1-09 reuse
20021230 DailySet1-08 reuse

What (if anything) should I do to correct the order?

Can anyone suggest an elegant way to correct the order by using interfaces
supplied with AMANDA? (as opposed to starting over and re-labelling a whole new
magazine of tapes, as one option)

###

thank you
dk