Amanda-Users

Re: Full Backup Configuration

2003-01-17 14:41:34
Subject: Re: Full Backup Configuration
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 14:04:50 -0500
On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 01:15:17PM -0500, Jeremy L. Mordkoff wrote:
> Okay....what are the settings for getting a full once every 3 days with
> backups 5 nights a week and 16 tapes?
>
> I tried
> dumpcycle 3 days
> runspercycle 3
> tapecycle 16 tapes
>
> but that gives me fulls of everyone on Monday and what I want Tues thru
> Friday. I think the problem is when it fires up on Monday it thinks it
> is 2 days behind. How can I tell it to discount Saturday and Sunday?
>
> My cron file runs amdump Mon-Fri.
>
> Would
> dumpcycle 1 week
> runspercycle 3
> tapecycle 16 tapes
>
> work better?

I think the reason you got no replies the last time you
asked about this is that like me, no one had an answer.
It is certainly outside the norm and modifying amanda
to optionally ignore weekends would be quite a job.

I don't know the planning algorithm, but it seems like
you want to try and force the planner to use only
"runs left this cycle" to determine which DLE's get
level 0's.  In that case I wonder why set the dumpcycle
to a short time like 1 week.  Maybe take it totally out
of the picture with a very long time.

But as I say, I have no idea whether it will work.
We hope you will be able to tell us whether it does.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)