Amanda-Users

Re: offsite strategies

2003-01-06 15:49:28
Subject: Re: offsite strategies
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: David Lebel <lebel AT lebel DOT org>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 14:57:40 -0500
On Monday 06 January 2003 13:18, David Lebel wrote:
>Hi!
>
>I'm new to Amanda;  I'm more used to "traditional" solutions like
>Networker or NetBackup.  That being said, the setup I'm currently
>administrating has been put in place by my predecessor and I'm
> wondering if people are using Amanda in an "offsite" strategy,
> where there is one "cycle" of tapes offsite (usually a few weeks
> old) and another cycle residing onsite (ie. the current ongoing
> cycle).
>
>My point is that I would like to be able to store a full cycle
> offsite in case of a disaster so I can full rebuild all my
> machines without the worries of having only partials full
> backups.
>
>Any hints?
>
>Ciao,
>  ..>David

I think what the schedule would look like would have to be
determined by the dumpcycle and tapecycle values in the
amanda.conf.  This wouldn't be too hard to setup if you make sure
cron nag-mails you on the days the tapes are to be exchanged with
the offsite tapes.  We as humans too soon forget a weekly chore. :(

I'm just doing my home stuff here, but with a dumpcycle of 5 and a
tapecycle of 28, I could move a considerable percentage of my tapes
offsite, *if* I had an offsite. :)

If you have amanda setup for a dumpcycle of 1 week, and at least 21
tapes in the tapecycle, you could have the middle weeks worth
offsite with only one trip per week to exchange them.

Since cleanliness is next to godliness, some sort of a well sealed
carrier would be in order since autos are notorious for collecting
trash.  Here its not a huge problem. I keep them in their plastic
bookpack carriers when not in the drives magazine, stuck in an oak
pidgeonhole box on the wall I made a year or so back.  Oak
theoreticly isn't the best as its fumes have been known to attack
blued gun finishes, but I've had no such problems here with the
tapes coatings.  Your trivia fact for the day.  I haven't even had
to run a cleaning tape in several months, so I must be doing
something right :)

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M