Amanda-Users

RE: offsite strategies

2003-01-06 15:43:15
Subject: RE: offsite strategies
From: donald.ritchey AT exeloncorp DOT com
To: lebel AT lebel DOT org, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 13:29:09 -0600
Suggest that you consider setting up a dump-cycle of 1 week, with a tape
cycle of three weeks (5 tapes/15 tapes for weekdays only, 7/21 tapes for
seven days-per-week cycles).  This will permit you to send out a complete
set of backup tapes once per week (for example, sending out the previous
weeks tapes on Monday) and getting back the set of tapes from two weeks
ago in exchange.  You then start reusing the three week-old tapes for the
current week.  You will need to have three sets of tapes, in case it takes
more than a day to exchange the tapes with your offsite repository.

Week    In-Use   Off-Site    To-Be-Reused

  1       Set3     Set2        Set1
  2       Set1     Set3        Set2
  3       Set2     Set1        Set3
  4       Set3     Set2        Set1

Because of the one-week dumpcycle, you will always have a complete set of
dumps of each file system in the off-site tape set.  It will grow
increasingly out-of-date during the week, but storing your local collection
of tapes in a fire-resistant vault should reduce your risks to an
acceptable level.

As always, "Your mileage may vary..."

Don

Donald L. (Don) Ritchey