Amanda-Users

Re: offsite strategies

2003-01-06 15:43:46
Subject: Re: offsite strategies
From: Jay Lessert <jayl AT accelerant DOT net>
To: David Lebel <lebel AT lebel DOT org>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 11:43:05 -0800
[CC'ed to amanda-users]
On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:18:42PM -0500, David Lebel wrote:
> My point is that I would like to be able to store a full cycle offsite
> in case of a disaster

That's a good thing.

> so I can full rebuild all my machines without the
> worries of having only partials full backups.

Ummm, I don't understand this.

But anyway, I've seen people do what I think you want in two ways:

1)  Assuming tapecycle=N*dumpcycle, keep N-1 dumpcycles worth of tapes
    offsite at all times, rotating the oldest dumpcycle in and the
    freshest out at the end of each dumpcycle.

    This can work pretty well if your offsite storage is convenient,
    flexible and reliable.

    If you burn the site down, you lose whatever you've got in the
    "current" dumpcycle.

2)  Run two amanda configs; one "normal" that you run daily, and
    another 'dumpcycle 0'/'strategy noinc'/'record no' full-only type
    config that you run once per some-period and immediately send
    off-site.

    If you burn the site down, you lose all your "normal" tapes,
    but have your latest full-only tape(s).

--
Jay Lessert                               jay_lessert AT accelerant DOT net
Accelerant Networks Inc.                       (voice)1.503.439.3461