Amanda-Users

Re: offsite strategies

2003-01-06 17:40:40
Subject: Re: offsite strategies
From: Darin Dugan <dddugan AT iastate DOT edu>
To: David Lebel <lebel AT lebel DOT org>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 15:38:21 -0600
At 01:59 PM 1/6/2003, David Lebel wrote:
Quoting Darin Dugan (dddugan AT iastate DOT edu):
> Donald's suggestion is precisely what we're doing here. We choose to send
> the most recent (runspercycle * runtapes) set offsite, as it is the most
> valuable. Others may choose to send an older set offsite so as to be able
> to restore accidental-deletions from the most recent set. Choose according
> to your environment.

What are your values for the following:
dumpcycle

dumpcycle 1 weeks       # the number of days in the normal dump cycle

runspercycle

runspercycle 5          # the number of amdump runs in dumpcycle days

(We only run weekdays.)

tapecycle x tapes

tapecycle 15 tapes      # the number of tapes in rotation

(Exactly three weeks/dumpcycles worth.)

And don't forget:
runtapes 1              # number of tapes to be used in a single run of amdump

(We use one tape per night.)

So we rotate runspercycle * runtapes = 5 * 1 = 5 tapes off-site once per dumpcycle = 1 week. As I said before, we store the most recent set off-site as they are deemed the most valuable, and we don't restore too often. This has the side-effect of leaving the next dumpcycle worth of tapes on-site, so if you forget to switch things out, you still have the correct next tapes.

Cheers.

?
Ciao,
  ...David