Amanda-Users

Re: offsite strategies

2003-01-06 15:53:41
Subject: Re: offsite strategies
From: Christophe Kalt <kalt AT taranis DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 14:46:16 -0500
Hi,

On Jan 06, David Lebel wrote:
| I'm new to Amanda;  I'm more used to "traditional" solutions like
| Networker or NetBackup.  That being said, the setup I'm currently
| administrating has been put in place by my predecessor and I'm wondering
| if people are using Amanda in an "offsite" strategy, where there is one
| "cycle" of tapes offsite (usually a few weeks old) and another cycle
| residing onsite (ie. the current ongoing cycle).
|
| My point is that I would like to be able to store a full cycle offsite
| in case of a disaster so I can full rebuild all my machines without the
| worries of having only partials full backups.

i think that the easiest way is to have two amanda configurations:
* one regular configuration with N tapes residing onsite
* one configuration for weekly/monthly/.. level 0 dumps for offsite

There are different ways to get this to work nicely together,
i think.  My second configuration has "dumpcycle" and
"runspercycle" set to 0, a high value for tapecycle, and
runtapes > 1
Additionally, i set "record" to no so that the regular config
still does level 0 dumps.