Amanda-Users

Re: WangDAT 3400DX DDS2-120m tapetype

2002-09-25 07:08:46
Subject: Re: WangDAT 3400DX DDS2-120m tapetype
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Martin Schwarz <Martin.Schwarz AT toplink-plannet DOT de>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 06:49:42 -0400
On Wednesday 25 September 2002 05:33, Martin Schwarz wrote:
>Hello Gene,
>
>On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 02:35:54AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> The drive can do about 350-375 on hot rod machines, so its
>> possible the p133 is beginning to effect it somewhat.  I
>> certainly wouldn't
>
>AFAIR the machine had been quite busy otherwise at the time of
> that tapetype run. The backup last night (my first on this setup
> without hardware compression) achieved an average tape write rate
> of 344.6 KByte/s which is ok IMO. The drive is connected to an
> old Adaptec 1542 controller (ISA) which might as well slow things
> down...

It can also give some "unexpected" results if you ever add a changer
robot,  that card does NOT do tape stuff where the LUM != 0  well
at all.

>> want to run the compression on that machine as I'd think that a
>> dumptype spec of "compress server best" would be downright
>> painfull to watch, if you could manage to stay awake. :-)
>> Besides, compress
>
>There's only one client backed up besides the server itself, and
> this is a moderately fast machine that does its own
> compress-best. However, I had once tried a "compress-best" on the
> server's own paritions and it took about 5 times longer than the
> usual. Now I'm back to compress-fast and happy with it.
>
>Greetings,
>Martin.

Good.  I'm glad its working.  But be aware that I've got 2 of those
cards and had to retire them on getting my first and second
changers.  Which reminds me, I'd expect the second one is for sale
if I'd think to check as it was too small for the assigned job.  We
built a 320g raid instead.  Its a 4 tape magazine equipt Seagate
internal with a DDS2 drive in it, just like mine.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M