Amanda-Users

Re: WangDAT 3400DX DDS2-120m tapetype

2002-09-25 06:02:00
Subject: Re: WangDAT 3400DX DDS2-120m tapetype
From: Martin Schwarz <Martin.Schwarz AT toplink-plannet DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 11:33:03 +0200
Hello Gene,

On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 02:35:54AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> The drive can do about 350-375 on hot rod machines, so its possible
> the p133 is beginning to effect it somewhat.  I certainly wouldn't

AFAIR the machine had been quite busy otherwise at the time of that
tapetype run. The backup last night (my first on this setup without
hardware compression) achieved an average tape write rate of 344.6
KByte/s which is ok IMO. The drive is connected to an old Adaptec 1542
controller (ISA) which might as well slow things down...

> want to run the compression on that machine as I'd think that a
> dumptype spec of "compress server best" would be downright painfull
> to watch, if you could manage to stay awake. :-)  Besides, compress

There's only one client backed up besides the server itself, and this is
a moderately fast machine that does its own compress-best. However, I
had once tried a "compress-best" on the server's own paritions and it
took about 5 times longer than the usual. Now I'm back to compress-fast
and happy with it.

Greetings,
Martin.