Amanda-Users

Re: [amanda 2.4.2p2] tar exclude list not working

2002-09-21 16:27:11
Subject: Re: [amanda 2.4.2p2] tar exclude list not working
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: m.schwarz AT inka DOT de (Martin Schwarz), amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 16:00:31 -0400
On Saturday 21 September 2002 10:59, Martin Schwarz wrote:
>Hello fellow amanda users,
>
>I have been using amanda for some time, successfully backing up
> whole filsystems with dump. Now I'm trying to back up only parts
> of one (large) filesystem using gnutar and the exclude-list
> feature. The relevant config snippets are as follows (machine
> lissy is server and client in one, config name is "lissyDaily1"):
>
>[/etc/amanda/lissyDaily1/disklist]
>lissy   /disk-c1/martin         comp-user-tar
>
>[/etc/amanda/lissyDaily1/amanda.conf]
>define dumptype comp-user-tar {
>    program "GNUTAR"
>    comment "partitions dumped with tar"
>    options compress-fast, index
>    exclude list "/etc/amanda/exclude.gtar"
>    priority medium
>}
>
>[/etc/amanda/exclude.gtar]
>/disk-c1/martin/mac

Tar does this exclusion checking on a current directory level basis.
eg to exclude the above "mac" subdir, it would be "./mac", without
the quotes of course.

>The results are not as I had expected. amanda seems to ignore the
>exclude list and tries to backup the whole filesystem below
>"/disk-c1/martin". Since this includes the rather large
> subdirectory "/disk-c1/martin/mac", the backup doesn't fit on the
> tape and fails:
>
>[lissyDaily1 AMANDA MAIL REPORT FOR September 21, 2002]
>FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
>  lissy      /disk-c1/martin lev 1 FAILED [dump larger than tape,
>skipping incremental]
>
>The /var/log/amanda/lissyDaily1/amdump.1 log file show the
> estimated backup size as:
>
>    got result for host lissy disk /disk-c1/martin: 0 ->
> 23243790K, 1 -> 23093150K, -1 -> -1K
>
>which is (give or take a few KB) the size of the whole
> /disk-c1/martin hierarchy INCLUDING the /disk-c1/martin/mac
> subdirectory:
>
>$ du -sk /disk-c1/martin /disk-c1/martin/mac
>23298740        /disk-c1/martin
>23133416        /disk-c1/martin/mac
>$
>
>So, /disk-c1/martin EXCLUDING /disk-c1/martin/mac should be only
>165324KB or about 160MBytes which would fit perfectly on the tape.
>
>Some more information on my system:
>
>- Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 on i386, using the distribiution binary
> packages (amanda-client  2.4.2p2-4, amanda-common  2.4.2p2-4,
> amanda-server 2.4.2p2-4)
>- single DDS2 SCSI tape drive (/dev/nst0), configured like this:
>    define tapetype DDS2-120m {
>        comment "WangTek DAT tape drive (DDS2)"
>        length 3265 mbytes
>        filemark 100 kbytes
>        speed 300 kbytes
>    }

The above looks as if you have the drives compression turned on,
except for the rated speed, that pretty slow too.  It normally
doubles with the drives compression active.  Software compression
can beat hardware for size efficiency by wide margins.  As useing
the hardware version hides the true tape size from amanda, and
plays mind games with tapetype when you run it to see what you've
got, we strongly recommend the hardare be turned off.  But that
won't fix a tape thats already been written to with it on.

Back up the list here maybe 2 days, and read the procedure I posted
for someone else that will fix this.  But I forgot to have him
rewind the tape first so that the first dd operation does get the
tapes identifyiing header.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M