Amanda-Users

Re: win32

2002-09-13 03:58:07
Subject: Re: win32
From: JC Simonetti <simonetti AT echo DOT fr>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 09:43:29 +0200
On Thu, 12 Sep 2002 12:23:25 -0400
Galen Johnson <gjohnson AT trantor DOT org> wrote:

> JC Simonetti wrote:
>
> >amrecover is possible. You extract the tarball archive on your backup server
> >and upload it to the Windows box, and there you untar it with the WinTar
> >provided with Win32 Amanda (different of course from the GNU tar, due to NT
> >file rights...).
> >
> >amrestore is possible, but I don't like the ability of the client to log in
> >as root without password on the backup server, so I tested the solution but
> >did not put it in production. amrestore is also helped by a GUI written in
> >Python (need to install a Python interpreter on your Windows box, easy way
> >but not so easy to automatically deploy).
> >

> >>Have you, or will you, put the changes out for others?
> >>

> >Will be done. See my previous mail ;)
> >

> Can I assume from what you've been saying that you've actually gotten
> the amanda-win32 project from sourceforce to compile properly?  What
> about the selfcheck bug? Or sendsize crashes that were reported?  these
> questions assume you are using amanda-win32.  I've tried contacting the
> current maintainer with no success.  All the source files are about 18
> months old and CVS hasn't been touched in as long.
>
> Also, what version of amanda have you gotten it to work with?  There was
> a previous response from someone who couldn't get it to work on the more
> recent code.
>
> =G=

Well... You're right, I got the actual state of the Sourceforge project and did
not touch to anything to the sources. Everything goes well.
For your bugs :
1. selfcheck bug is not a bug, it's just that selfcheck is not provided in the
Win32 version. If you are suck with the amcheck errors, do the same thing as me
: "selfcheck.c : int main() {return 0;}", and if you are lazy compiling such a
thing, I've attached it here.
2. sendsize crash ? Well... Er... Er... Er... Where ??? I've had some problems
with sendsize, but it corrected itself with the "-udp=10080 -no-exit"
parameters to the amandad.exe program. I did not examine precisely the source
code but the "-no-exit" seems to be very important...

What I've done with this project? Well... Just got it from Sourceforge and
installed it on W2K boxes: what I've done is installed it as a WinNT service. I
am running it with an Amanda 2.4.3b2 server on a Linux box, and no errors
reported yet (1,5 Go backed up every night). Not checked with omre recent
versions.

Jean-Christian SIMONETTI      email: simonetti AT echo DOT fr
SysAdmin Wanadoo Portails     phone: (+33)493004911
Sophia Antipolis, France