Amanda-Users

Re: win32

2002-09-12 12:01:14
Subject: Re: win32
From: JC Simonetti <simonetti AT echo DOT fr>
To: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 17:43:34 +0200
On Thu, 12 Sep 2002 11:16:11 -0400
Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 09:35:57AM +0200, JC Simonetti wrote:
> > On Wed, 11 Sep 2002 12:02:09 -0400 (EDT)
> > Samuel Nicolary <sam AT nicolary DOT org> wrote:
> > > On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Galen Johnson wrote:
> > >
> > > I downloaded this package but have been unable to get it to work - anyone
> > > using it successfully?
> >
> > Well... I was a bit tricky but I managed to make this work with
> > Amanda 2.4.3b2 and W2K clients (not NT4). The major problems in fact
> > were to transform this slight piece of code into a W2K Service (to make
> > it work even if you have not an Administrator account always opened)
> > (quite a bit tricky to to find information at Microsoft's). Another
> > problem was due to the Windows flag "archive" that seems to be read by
> > Amanda exactly like the Unix "executable" flag.
> >
> > Now I am backuping some W2K servers, in production. Everything goes well :)
> >

> Important follow-ups:
>
> Can you also amrecover/amrestore?

amrecover is possible. You extract the tarball archive on your backup server
and upload it to the Windows box, and there you untar it with the WinTar
provided with Win32 Amanda (different of course from the GNU tar, due to NT
file rights...).

amrestore is possible, but I don't like the ability of the client to log in as
root without password on the backup server, so I tested the solution but did
not put it in production. amrestore is also helped by a GUI written in Python
(need to install a Python interpreter on your Windows box, easy way but not so
easy to automatically deploy).

> Have you, or will you, put the changes out for others?

Will be done. See my previous mail ;)