Amanda-Users

Re: Working with multiple tape drives----- Ammended

2002-09-11 14:59:51
Subject: Re: Working with multiple tape drives----- Ammended
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: "Quinn, Richard C. - Collinsville IT" <rcquinn AT roysterclark DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 13:37:46 -0500
--On Monday, April 27, 2020 18:01:38 -0400 Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 11:50:51 -0500
From: "Quinn, Richard C. - Collinsville IT"
<rcquinn AT roysterclark DOT com> To: "Gene Heskett"
<gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>

Yes,

my box is a Sparc E-450 running Sol 6.

I am using the SST driver for Solaris 6.

I think it(SST Driver) is the predecessor to Solaris' sgen driver
for Sol 7 and 8.

Here are the boot messages for the Jukebox robotic arm and its 2
QUANTUM drives

Sep  4 12:30:12 sun1 unix: sst3:        found Changer device at
tgt0, lun0
Sep  4 12:30:12 sun1 unix: sst3:        Vendor/Product ID = STK
  9730 Sep  4 12:30:12 sun1 unix: sst3 at pci1000,f7:
Sep  4 12:30:12 sun1 unix:  target 0 lun 0
Sep  4 12:30:12 sun1 unix: sst3 is /pci@1f,4000/scsi@4,1/sst@0,0

And try as I might, includeing hilighting the cmplete message, there
is something in the listing that prevents me from quoting it all.

The bottom line is that for this, I think you are going to need the
manuals on this device.  Its entirely possible it has a problem.  I
find it different in that it finds the robot at address 0, and the
two drives at address 1 and 2.  But properly set in amanda.conf and
chg-scsi.conf, I don't believe that to be a problem.

You may have to either take it to a winderz box and check it with
their software, or return it to the vendor with your impression of
the problem.

You might also see if you can install mtx on your server (it requires
GNU make and possibly a few other things not standard on Solaris)
and use that to control your changer.  If you can use mtx commands
to control your library from the command line then it should be
straightforward to use Amanda's chg-mtx driver instead of chg-scsi.
I believe mtx accesses the changer through a raw device, bypassing
the scsi driver, and can sometimes do more with some changers.

Good luck,
Frank

--
Frank Smith                                                fsmith AT hoovers
DOT com