Amanda-Users

amcheck -c and NAK error

2002-09-11 15:02:13
Subject: amcheck -c and NAK error
From: "GOODWYN,RON (HP-USA,ex1)" <ron_goodwyn AT hp DOT com>
To: "'amanda-users AT amanda DOT org'" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 14:48:17 -0400

I'm trying to pin down a amanda problem and get over the hurdle of running
amcheck(8) to ensure that client and server are set up properly.  Right now,
I'm not sure if the problem is with my AMANDA client or with the server.
Here is what I have.

An AMANDA server running version 2.4.2p2-1. I think my server system is
RedHat version 7.1.

amanda-server-2.4.2p2-1
amanda-2.4.2p2-1

A version of 7.2 Redhat amanda client running version 2.4.2p2-1

amanda-2.4.2p2-1
amanda-client-2.4.2p2-1

>From the server, I invoke the command:

amcheck -c "RonSet", where RonSet my personalized configuration file. It's
pretty standard with very minimal modifications.

I get the error:

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
ERROR: rgoodwyn-lx.idev.atl.hp.com NAK: service selfcheck unavailable

Client check: 1 host checked in 0.030 seconds, 1 problem found

(brought to you by Amanda 2.4.2p2)

On the client side, I have verified that the directory /tmp/amanda is
created.  This directory contains some debug information that is useful.

Output from /tmp/amanda (I'm removing all that constant jazz...)

got packet:
--------
Amanda 2.4 REQ HANDLE 000-303F0608 SEQ 1031769257
SECURITY USER amanda
SERVICE selfcheck
OPTIONS ;
GNUTAR /home 0 OPTIONS
|;bsd-auth;compress-fast;index;exclude-list=/usr/local/lib/amanda/exclude.gt
ar;
--------

execute access to "/usr/local/libexec/selfcheck" denied
sending nack:
----
Amanda 2.4 NAK HANDLE 000-303F0608 SEQ 1031769257
ERROR service selfcheck unavailable
----

amandad: pid 1061 finish time Wed Sep 11 14:39:12 2002

Are there any issues if the version of the OS where AMANDA is running
differs from that of the client? I wouldn't think so.  I had this working
until I upgraded my client to release 7.2 of RedHat.

Well if you have any insights I would be very grateful.

Many Thanks,
Ron Goodwyn