Amanda-Users

Re: Question: ADIC DAT-Changer very slow

2002-09-04 08:18:43
Subject: Re: Question: ADIC DAT-Changer very slow
From: Galen Johnson <gjohnson AT trantor DOT org>
To: Stefan Hellwig <shellwig AT orga DOT com>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 07:57:41 -0400
I'd like to interject one item...if your chg-scsi trial doesn't fix the issue, you may want to look at your SCSI controller. You mentioned that you have an Adaptec 2940 while Chris is using a 7890/91...that could be part of the equation as well.

=G=

Stefan Hellwig wrote:

Hello!

I am very new to AMANDA (I started using it yesterday :-). However, I managed to get the configuration done and all seems to work fine, thanks especially to the great online manuals I found.

I am using version 2.4.2p2 on Linux (SuSE 6.4, Kernel 2.2.14) with an ADIC 1200 DAT-Changer (12 slots) connected to an Adaptec 2940 SCSI host adapter. I configured the chg-scsi changer configuration using the chg-scsi-linux.conf as a template.

Although it can control the changer and read/write to the connected HP DAT tape there remains one problem: The DAT changer needs a very long time (10 minutes!) to change tapes. In the chg-scsi debug output I usually get a lot of "not ready" messages like this:

<-- CUT -->

##### START GenericSenseHandler
##### START DecodeSense
GenericSenseHandler : Sense Keys
       ErrorCode                     70
       Valid                         0
       ASC                           3A
       ASCQ                          00
       Sense key                     02
               Not Ready
GenericSenseHandler : NOT_READY ASC = 3a ASCQ = 0
#### STOP SenseHandler

<-- CUT -->

Then, at some point, I get the following message:

<-- CUT -->

#### STOP SenseHandler
GenericEject : Ready after 600 sec, true = 1
##### STOP eject_tape [0]
###### START unload
unload               : fd 3, slot 3, drive 0
unload               : unload drive 0[2] slot 3[6]
##### START GenericMove
GenericMove          : from = 2, to = 6

It then finally takes the tape back into its slot and tries to load the next one. Can anyone help me out here? Thanks!

Regards, Stefan.