Amanda-Users

Re: Question: ADIC DAT-Changer very slow

2002-09-04 06:04:34
Subject: Re: Question: ADIC DAT-Changer very slow
From: Christoph Scheeder <christoph.scheeder AT scheeder DOT de>
To: Stefan Hellwig <shellwig AT orga DOT com>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 11:41:44 +0200
Hi again,

Stefan Hellwig wrote:

Hi!

On Wednesday 04 September 2002 10:58, Christoph Scheeder wrote:

i have such a changer working fine since about a year now,
it's not the fastest,( amcheck takes about 1 or 2 Minutes per tape)
but 10 Minutes per tape is much to long....

Yes, that's what I thought. 10 minutes is wrong... I guess the problem is that somehow the SCSI controller or Linux cannot communicate correctly with the ADIC DAT changer. Do you also use Linux? If so, which version and what kind of SCSI host adapter?

Yes, debian linux, at the moment v3.0 but it worked fine with v2.2.

Kernel is 2.4.19, was a late 2.2.x, amanda is 2.4.3b4, self compiled,
started to use the changer with amanda 2.4.2p2, self compiled
Hostadapter is an adaptec AIC7890/91 on my motherboard (asus-P2BS)

do you get any scsi-errors in syslog?
what version of amanda?
chg-scsi from 2.4p2 is buggy, get the one from 2.4.3b4, it works fine.
and every time i open the cover of my changer i have to use the unload and the
reload button at the front, or the changer won't do anything, as it detects
the opening of the cover.

You don't use a precompiled amanda do you?
Using the packages from the distros is just asking for trouble
and compiling amanda is not a big deal.

my chg-scsi.conf looks like this: [...]

Thanks. However, our configurations are basically identical except for the fact that I have a longer "sleep" value of "90" instead of "30". That should not make the difference, though. I will set it to "30" but this only affects the tape and not the changer, I believe.

yup, set it a little longer then the time your tapedrive needs to get ready
after the tape gets loaded. 90 seconds seem to be on the "safe side".

Christoph