Amanda-Users

Re: Question: ADIC DAT-Changer very slow

2002-09-04 07:12:43
Subject: Re: Question: ADIC DAT-Changer very slow
From: Stefan Hellwig <shellwig AT orga DOT com>
To: Christoph Scheeder <christoph.scheeder AT scheeder DOT de>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 12:54:15 +0200
Hi!

On Wednesday 04 September 2002 11:41, Christoph Scheeder wrote:
> do you get any scsi-errors in syslog?

No, none.

> what version of amanda?

I use version 2.4.2p2, compiled from sources.

> chg-scsi from 2.4p2 is buggy, get the one from 2.4.3b4, it works fine.

Ahh... Okay, I will do that. I am compiling 2.4.3b4 right now, let's see. I
just have to exchange chg-scsi right, nothing else?! I plan to stick with
2.4.2p2 for now if possible, except for the chg-scsi... Is it possible to use
the chg-scsi of 2.4.3b4 with the rest of Amanda 2.4.2p2?

> and every time i open the cover of my changer i have to use the unload and
> the reload button at the front, or the changer won't do anything, as it
> detects the opening of the cover.

Really? I did not notice that before. Well, maybe my changer does not have
such a sensor?

> You don't use a precompiled amanda do you?

No, I usually compile everything from source if I can :-).

> Using the packages from the distros is just asking for trouble
> and compiling amanda is not a big deal.

So I noticed, it compiles, installs, and runs smoothly. Great work, Amanda
developers! :-)

> yup, set it a little longer then the time your tapedrive needs to get ready
> after the tape gets loaded. 90 seconds seem to be on the "safe side".

I've set it to "30" now which also seems to be OK. It won't change the
behavior of the DAT changer, though, but that was obvious.

Regards, Stefan.