Amanda-Users

Re: Question: ADIC DAT-Changer very slow

2002-09-04 07:43:36
Subject: Re: Question: ADIC DAT-Changer very slow
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Stefan Hellwig <shellwig AT orga DOT com>, Christoph Scheeder <christoph.scheeder AT scheeder DOT de>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 07:34:42 -0400
On Wednesday 04 September 2002 06:54, Stefan Hellwig wrote:
>Hi!
>
>On Wednesday 04 September 2002 11:41, Christoph Scheeder wrote:
>> do you get any scsi-errors in syslog?
>
>No, none.
>
>> what version of amanda?
>
>I use version 2.4.2p2, compiled from sources.
>
>> chg-scsi from 2.4p2 is buggy, get the one from 2.4.3b4, it works
>> fine.
>
>Ahh... Okay, I will do that. I am compiling 2.4.3b4 right now,
> let's see. I just have to exchange chg-scsi right, nothing else?!
> I plan to stick with 2.4.2p2 for now if possible, except for the
> chg-scsi... Is it possible to use the chg-scsi of 2.4.3b4 with
> the rest of Amanda 2.4.2p2?

Its not a good thing to play mix and match all that much.  The
amanda "make install" won't overwrite any config stuff that already
exists.  I've overwritten my own install probably 25 times since I
started using it a couple of years ago.  The only thing you'll see
(unless something works that didn't before) is the new version in
the reports it emails you.

However to simplify all the perms problems, unpack it as root
then do

1) chown -R amanda:disk(or whatever group amanda is a member of) on
the unpacked directory.

2) su amanda

2a) copy your config script from the old versions build dir to the
new one's build dir.

3) cd to the directory containing the new version

4) execute your configuration script (I use a script so the
configuration isn't subject to my fat fingered erratic spelling, my
script looks like this and is called gh.cf)
#!/bin/sh
make clean
rm -f config.status config.cache
./configure --with-user=amanda \
        --with-group=disk \
        --with-owner=amanda \
        --with-tape-device=/dev/nst0 \
        --with-changer-device=/dev/sg1 \
        --with-gnu-ld --prefix=/usr/local \
        --with-debugging=/tmp/amanda-dbg/ \
        --with-tape-server=192.168.1.3 \
        --with-amandahosts \
        --with-configdir=/usr/local/etc/amanda
--------------------------------
adjust to suit of course, consistency between builds is the target
strong point here.

5) still as user amanda, 'make' it.

6) exit to root user status

7) cd to the directory

8) make install

Thats all there is to it as each upgrade snapshot comes out.

[...]

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M