Amanda-Users

Re: Configuration help?

2002-08-20 06:51:25
Subject: Re: Configuration help?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 06:34:20 -0400
On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 10:27:16AM +0300, Conny Gyllendahl wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
>
> > Tread lightly -- thar be dragons here.  :)  They both have their pros and
> > cons, and it can be a matter of deep seated religous belief for people.
> > FS specific dump programs can back up things that tar doesn't know about
> > (e.g. ACLs), and can sometimes be faster.  But they're limited to
> > partitions only, and require that the recovery machine have them
> > installed.  Tar can do subdirectories and doesn't care about OS/FS (and
> > thus you can recover on just about any machine).
>
> Hmm.. odd, I have been using a dumptype using ufsdump for just
> subdirectories and it appears to be working. Or maybe amanda is smarter
> than me, notices it and switches them to using tar instead. :)

>From Solaris 2.8 man page of ufsdump:

     files_to_dump
           Specifies the files to dump. Usually it  identifies  a
           whole file system by its raw device name (for example,
           /dev/rdsk/c0t3d0s6).

           Incremental dumps (levels 1 to  9) of files changed
           after a certain  date  only apply to a whole file system.

           Alternatively, files_to_dump can identify individual
           files or  directories.  ...  This dump is equivalent
           to a level 0 dump of the indicated portions of the
           filesystem ...

It looks like by naming a directory you do a level 0 each time unless
(perhaps?) that directory is the mount point.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)