Amanda-Users

Re: Configuration help?

2002-08-16 09:19:31
Subject: Re: Configuration help?
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Conny Gyllendahl <conny AT consilia.aland DOT fi>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 08:57:57 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 16 Aug 2002 at 10:07am, Conny Gyllendahl wrote

> 1000 x thanks for the help! I have Amanda up and running and backing up
> our three servers just the way we wanted it now.

Glad to hear it.

> Now for my last question for this time: what are the pros and cons, if
> any, for using tar or (ufs)dump? Are there any reasons or situtations
> for choosing one over the other?

Tread lightly -- thar be dragons here.  :)  They both have their pros and
cons, and it can be a matter of deep seated religous belief for people.
FS specific dump programs can back up things that tar doesn't know about
(e.g. ACLs), and can sometimes be faster.  But they're limited to
partitions only, and require that the recovery machine have them
installed.  Tar can do subdirectories and doesn't care about OS/FS (and
thus you can recover on just about any machine).

It's all a matter of choice.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering