Amanda-Users

Re: File too large problem

2002-08-20 06:53:10
Subject: Re: File too large problem
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 06:42:02 -0400
On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 12:08:52PM +0300, Stanislav Malyshev wrote:
> I have recently installed amanda 2.4.2p2 and I discovered that it no
> longer supports "negative chunksize" parameter, which I used to direct big
> dumps (some 10G+ filesystems) to tape directly. Now, when I try to du
> level 0 dump of such a filesystem, it gives me an error: "data write: File
> too large".
> What could be a solution of this problem? I don't really want to split
> these filesystems in parts - they have a lot of subdirs, and it's a pain
> to maintain the up-to-date list. Is there a way to make dump go directly
> on tape as before? Or does my problem lie in something else? (BTW, the
> tape should be enough to keep the dumps - it's 35M tape, and I did
> successfull level 0 dump on it with older amanda version).

I do not recall a meaning for negative chunksize.
Sure you do not mean a negative value for "use".

File too large sounds like > max file size for the file system.
Generally a chunksize of 1GB would prevent that.  An unspecified
chunksize could allow chunks to grow too large.  Perhaps the
negative chunksize is interpreted as illegal and thus unspecified.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)