Amanda-Users

Re: Configuration help?

2002-08-16 10:57:25
Subject: Re: Configuration help?
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Conny Gyllendahl <conny AT consilia.aland DOT fi>, amanda-users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 10:41:38 -0400
On Friday 16 August 2002 03:07, Conny Gyllendahl wrote:
>On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
>
>*snip*
>
>1000 x thanks for the help! I have Amanda up and running and
> backing up our three servers just the way we wanted it now.
>
>Now for my last question for this time: what are the pros and
> cons, if any, for using tar or (ufs)dump? Are there any reasons
> or situtations for choosing one over the other?
>
>/Conny

Thats an almost religious battle that seems to not have a definitive
answer and I'd rather not throw any more starter on the fire.

Me, I use tar, if for no other reason than it can accept an exclude
list of things not to backup, like the holding directory if its not
on a seperate partition thats not in the disklist.

Someone else will have an equally valid reason to use dump, like its
faster or ???

Read the comments said here, read the manpages and decide which
collection plate to put your tithe in.  :-)

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M