Amanda-Users

Re: What could cause disk offline error?

2002-08-07 15:05:56
Subject: Re: What could cause disk offline error?
From: "support" <support AT nas DOT net>
To: "Gene Heskett" <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 14:45:24 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene Heskett" <gene_heskett>
To: "support" <support>
Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2002 2:23 PM

> On Wednesday 07 August 2002 14:06, you wrote:
> >Thanks Gene.
> >    Ended up having to just rename the new "tar" executable to be
> > gnutar, and it seems to have worked. I'm running a test now to
> > see if it gets rid of the disk offline error now. Using gnutar
> > 1.13.25
> >
> I don't know as I'd do that because then everything looking for a
> 'tar' including you (tar xzvf some.tar.gz) will be broken.
>
> But an 'ln -s gnutar tar' is certainly in order.  In other words
> make a link named tar that points to gnutar, or vice-versa.
>
> Them gnu folks is getting pickier and pickier, first they want linux
> to be called gnu-linux (and almost getting laughed out of camp over
> that one) now they want to call tar 'gnutar'.  Oh well, the link
> fixes all in any event and keeps RMS happy. :-)
>
> --
> Cheers, Gene
> AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
> Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
> 99.10% setiathome rank, not too shabby for a WV hillbilly

Sorry about how I respond to emails. I've not always been one to use the
indent with > (partially because when handling Network Solutions domain
modifications, it messes things up) I'm used to responding above for my
replies as well. :-) (I'm not NG oriented)

Well, I've done the test, and it did work without failure on the disk
offline issue. I didn't really remove tar though, I just copied over the new
tar file to gnutar, backing up the old gnutar, so it's all there still at
least. I don't think the installation of 1.13.25 replaced the original tar
though, I think it is in a different location.

Now if only I can get my excludes to work properly. :-) I have the excludes
(on the test) working so that dump1 will exclude anything starting with b-z,
so I'd only be backing up anything ./a

It seems to work, as it only backed up directories on a top level starting
with "a", but for some reason on a full dump, it is hit or miss with what
directories and files under any given directory is backed up. For example,
one user directory called "albert", was backed up. It contained the
appropriate sub directories, such as cgi-bin, docs, data, and user created
directories. However, on what was supposed to be a "0" dump (full dump?), it
completely missed backing up any image files or html files, essentially it
didn't seem to back up anything that wasn't a directory. I think this puts
me back to where I was prior to the disk offline error. What was supposed to
be a full dump, seems to only be picking and choosing what is backed up. I
wish it would just right full contents, but it doesn't appear to do so.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Tim