Amanda-Users

Re: What could cause disk offline error?

2002-08-07 11:41:31
Subject: Re: What could cause disk offline error?
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: "support" <support AT nas DOT net>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 11:22:32 -0400
On Wednesday 07 August 2002 09:40, support wrote:

>Sounds like it could be the problem! However, we just snagged a
> newer version of gnutar, and in implementing it, it did not
> replace the previous gnutar with the new version, it had actually
> replaced/installed "tar". Amanda does not use tar. So anyone feel
> I should somehow point Amanda to use TAR instead? Or anyone know
> why a newer version of gnutar installed would not replace the
> previous gnutar, but instead replace/add tar?

gnutar is tar.  But it may not have installed it over the old one if
you built it from src's.  Some configs default to /usr/local
instead of just /usr and you may not have over-ridden it.
Amanda can hard code the location, and may have the old ones
location built into the present build.

I'd assume you have a locate utility, so I'd first run the update
for that, then run it to find out how many tars you have installed,
delete the bunch and do another make install in the gnutar's src
dir, thereby insuring the new one gets used IF it can be found.

Amanda's configuration can take an argument of
--with-gnutar=/path/to/the/new/one.  That implies an amanda rebuild
of course.  But thats not a major concern, less than 5 minutes on
almost any modern machine.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M