Amanda-Users

Re: What could cause disk offline error?

2002-08-06 14:49:57
Subject: Re: What could cause disk offline error?
From: "support" <support AT nas DOT net>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 14:40:53 -0400
Well,
    This is where I'm confused. I don't know Amanda very well (I can "get
around" in it enough though), and I particularly cannot stand tape back ups.
Most frustrating things I've ever had to deal with, but I have to.

As far as I know, the way we have it set up should work. The /home directory
being split into two, it is being split into two dumps where part1dump is
defined as being the drive device sd0d being dumped with using the first
exclude: exclude "./[abcdefghijkl]*"

Part 2 dump is defined as /home with exclude "./[mnopqrstuvwxyz]*"

I never set this up in the first place and am having to figure it out.
Someone else had configured the dumps this way, and I understand the concept
of it, but the Amanda error of disk offline is not very descriptive.

I'm actually doing a test right now, where I have completely separated our
regular Daily dump cycle from a test dump, using only configuration for the
directory/disk that I am having problems with. It just finished its dump,
and failed, indicating disk offline. In my test, I am not using any exclude
at all, and am only dumping as a highdump.

I set only the following in the disklist to perform this test:
delta   sd0d    highdump        -1      fast    # /home

And the highdump is a defined standard in amanda.conf as:

define dumptype highdump {
    comment "High priority dump"
    global
    priority high

This should not have failed if it were the excludes that were the problem.
So now I have to try to figure out what else is causing this disk offline
error. The amanda system and logs are not showing enough info to figure out
the cause of the problem. I have not been able to do any level of dumps for
this disk in about 2 weeks now. <------- not good

Tim