Amanda-Users

Re: What could cause disk offline error?

2002-08-06 22:44:27
Subject: Re: What could cause disk offline error?
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: "support" <support AT nas DOT net>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 02:33:25 -0400
On Tuesday 06 August 2002 14:58, support wrote:
>Hmm,
>    A tad bit more information. I'm wondering if it is an issue
> with gnutar? Seems we have gnutar version 1.12 on all of our
> "working" servers, but 1.13 on the server that is having troubles
> with the backups?

Aha!  If the minor revision of that 1.13 tar isn't at least -19, and
preferably -25, you have a problem child that needs updated to at
least 1.13-19.  It probably wouldn't hurt to update them all.

>Could it be a space issue? Where/how does amanda and/or gnutar put
> the files together to write to tape?

Bear in mind that amanda cannot span more than 1 tape per filesystem
specification in the disklist, so if you have a /usr dir thats 35
gigs, and a 4gig tape, then the disklist is going to have to be
split up into the next individual subdirs of the /usr tree.  If
amanda runs out of tape, it will try the next tape, but it will
restart the failed filesystem from offset zero on the next tape.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M