Amanda-Users

Re: What could cause disk offline error?

2002-08-07 10:14:32
Subject: Re: What could cause disk offline error?
From: "support" <support AT nas DOT net>
To: "Gene Heskett" <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 09:40:59 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene Heskett" <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: "support" <support AT nas DOT net>; <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2002 2:33 AM

> On Tuesday 06 August 2002 14:58, support wrote:
> >Hmm,
> >    A tad bit more information. I'm wondering if it is an issue
> > with gnutar? Seems we have gnutar version 1.12 on all of our
> > "working" servers, but 1.13 on the server that is having troubles
> > with the backups?
> >
> Aha!  If the minor revision of that 1.13 tar isn't at least -19, and
> preferably -25, you have a problem child that needs updated to at
> least 1.13-19.  It probably wouldn't hurt to update them all.
>
> >Could it be a space issue? Where/how does amanda and/or gnutar put
> > the files together to write to tape?
>
> Bear in mind that amanda cannot span more than 1 tape per filesystem
> specification in the disklist, so if you have a /usr dir thats 35
> gigs, and a 4gig tape, then the disklist is going to have to be
> split up into the next individual subdirs of the /usr tree.  If
> amanda runs out of tape, it will try the next tape, but it will
> restart the failed filesystem from offset zero on the next tape.
>
> --
> Cheers, Gene
> AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
> Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
> 99.10% setiathome rank, not too shabby for a WV hillbilly

Sounds like it could be the problem! However, we just snagged a newer
version of gnutar, and in implementing it, it did not replace the previous
gnutar with the new version, it had actually replaced/installed "tar".
Amanda does not use tar. So anyone feel I should somehow point Amanda to use
TAR instead? Or anyone know why a newer version of gnutar installed would
not replace the previous gnutar, but instead replace/add tar?

Tim