Amanda-Users

MTX on FreeBSD using mtx-changer with ARCHIVE 4586 COMPAQ 28887-XXX

2002-08-06 10:26:30
Subject: MTX on FreeBSD using mtx-changer with ARCHIVE 4586 COMPAQ 28887-XXX
From: Chris Tusa <chris AT itechusa DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 09:05:52 -0500
Hi All,

I recently obtained an Archive 4586/ Compaq 28887-XXX / Seagate/Conner
Peregrine CTL96GF-S DAT/DDS-2 Autloader.  I've been searching the net trying
to get this thing kickin with Amanda.  Previosuly I had one Seagate
TRAVAN-NS20 drive which works just fine with amanda.  But its out to the
vendor for waranty service.

I'm using FreeBSD-4.6-STABLE and have installed the MTX package from
sourceforge.  MTX works like a charm and I am able to run all the commands to
move tapes and check the status of the drive with no problems.  When
attempting to use a changer glue script in Amanda, I get the same error with
each one.  I've tried:

chg-chio,  chg-multi,  chg-scsi, chg-mtx, chg-zd-mtx and lastly, there is a
glue script provided with the MTX package in the contrib dir called
mtx-changer.  So far, I have had the best success with mtx-changer, however I
still get an error.  Here is where I am at now:

amcheck-server: could not get changer info: badly formed result from changer:
"Storage Changer /dev/changer:1 Drives, 4 Slots ( 0 Import/Export ) Data
Transfer Element 0:Empty Storage Element 1:Full Storage Element 2:Full
Storage Element 3:Full Storage Element 4:Full"

This is the same results mtx produces 'mtx status':

 Storage Changer /dev/changer:1 Drives, 4 Slots ( 0 Import/Export ) Data
Transfer Element 0:Empty
       Storage Element 1:Full
       Storage Element 2:Full
       Storage Element 3:Full
       Storage Element 4:Full"

I have symbolically linked /dev/changer --> /dev/pass3  since mtx looks to
changer by default.  My tape device is /dev/sa0 (no-rewind /dev/nrsa0).
Device nodes appear to have been created by FreeBSD in /dev for each slot in
the changer: /dev/nrsa0.0, /dev/nrsa0.1, /dev/nrsa0.2, /dev/nrsa0.3

Perhaps I need to modify one of these scripts?  Does anyone have a similar
system or have experience working with Amanda with MTX on FreeBSD to steer me
in the right direction?

--
Cordially,
Chris Tusa