ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Ang: Re: [ADSM-L] Ang: Re: [ADSM-L] Ang: Re: [ADSM-L] vtl versus file systems for pirmary pool

2011-09-28 03:29:00
Subject: [ADSM-L] Ang: Re: [ADSM-L] Ang: Re: [ADSM-L] Ang: Re: [ADSM-L] vtl versus file systems for pirmary pool
From: Daniel Sparrman <daniel.sparrman AT EXIST DOT SE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 08:27:23 +0200
Like I said in my previous mail, it all depends on the size of you're TSM
server. Transfering (and storing) smaller amounts of data across the network is
one thing, but when u sit there with your 10TB DB2 server that needs to have a
full backup at least 2-3 days a week, transfering it across the network will
never be an option compared to using LAN-free.

The size and cost of the DD to be able to handle that kind of load would never
be justified just by using it as TSM storage, which would put you in a
situation where the DD is bought for multiple use (filer, backup and so forth).
That means you're putting your only lifeline (the backup) in the same box as
your primary storage (filers, databases). That's a risky situation, considering
what would happen if the box fails.

In my opionion, TSM storage should be quarantened, since if you're primary
storage fails, TSM is what's gonna bring you back on track.

Best Regards

Daniel

Daniel Sparrman
Exist i Stockholm AB