ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Ang: Re: [ADSM-L] Ang: Re: [ADSM-L] Ang: Re: [ADSM-L] vtl versus file systems for pirmary pool

2011-09-29 02:31:55
Subject: [ADSM-L] Ang: Re: [ADSM-L] Ang: Re: [ADSM-L] Ang: Re: [ADSM-L] vtl versus file systems for pirmary pool
From: Daniel Sparrman <daniel.sparrman AT EXIST DOT SE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 07:30:25 +0200
I'm not fully aware of how the DD replicates data, but if you have 15-20TB/day
being written to your main DD, and that data is then replicated to the off-site
DD, how much data is actually replicated?

With a 1Gbs connection, you could hit values up to 360GB/s hour (expecting
100MB/s which should be theoretically possible, but it's usually lower than
that on a 1Gbs connections) which means 8.6TB per 24 hours. So the data is both
deduplicated and compressed before you send it offsite?

Does the DD do the dedup within the same box, or require a separate box for
dedup?

You're also running with the same risk as the previous poster, you're relying
entirely on the fact that your DD setup wont break. Is this how the DD is sold?
(Buy 2 DD's, replicate between them and you're safe) ? I know it's (like the
if I got to choose, I'd rather have fast restores from my main site and slow
from my offsite, as long as I can restore the data. Instead of having fast from
main, fast from off, but there's a chance I might not be able to do restore at
all.

If DD claims they have "data invunerability" I'd really like to see how they
hit 100% protection, since it would be the first system in the world to
actually have managed to secure that last 0,0001% risk ;) RAID usually was
"secure" until someone made an error, put in a blank disk and forgot to rebuild
:)

Best Regards

Daniel

Daniel Sparrman