ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Ang: Re: [ADSM-L] Ang: Re: [ADSM-L] vtl versus file systems for pirmary pool

2011-09-28 03:13:05
Subject: [ADSM-L] Ang: Re: [ADSM-L] Ang: Re: [ADSM-L] vtl versus file systems for pirmary pool
From: Daniel Sparrman <daniel.sparrman AT EXIST DOT SE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 08:13:57 +0200
How many TB of data is common in this configuration? In a large environment,
where databases are 5-10TB each and you have a demand to backup 5-10-15-20TB of
data each night, this would require you to have 10Gbs for every host, something
that would also cost a penny. Especially since the DD needs to be configured to
have the throughput to write all those TB within a limited amount of time.

Does the DD do de-dup within the same box (meaning, can I have 1 box that
handles normal storage and does de-dup) or do I need a 2nd box?

And the same issue also arises with the filepool, you're moving alot of data
around completely unnecessary every day when u do reclaim.

If I'm right, it also sounds like (in your description from the previous mails)
you're not only using the DD for TSM storage. That sounds like putting all the
eggs in the same basket.

Best Regards

Daniel

Daniel Sparrman