Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Recognise Media from NBU

2006-11-09 09:30:47
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Recognise Media from NBU
From: Philip.Weber at egg.com (Weber, Philip)
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 14:30:47 -0000
We take tapes out regularly, using a script that checks which tapes
aren't going to expire until a certain month.  When the script ejects
these, it changes the volume group for the tape to be the month name.
The tape then goes in the box similarly labelled with the month name.

When a restore requests a tape that is out of the library, the device
monitor (vmoprcmd -d pr) will show what volume group is allocated to it,
and hence which box it is in, so it can easily be found.

Of course this is still dependent on people putting the tapes in the
right boxes, and I've had problems with that :-) - it's great fun going
through all the boxes comparing the tapes with where NetBackup thinks
they are!

hope this helps... ours is all on UNIX & so possibly easier to script.

Phil