Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Recognise Media from NBU

2006-11-10 01:28:45
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Recognise Media from NBU
From: simon.weaver at astrium.eads.net (WEAVER, Simon)
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 06:28:45 -0000
Darren
Too many comments made, so in summary:

1) I look after my catalog, have my own DR plans, and offline / off-site
storage for this, so I am not worried about this.

2) Agreed query the catalog or use AM - it tells you the tape. I am all for
this.... It's the other site that has all these issues, not myself! Why they
cannot adopt this is unclear.

3) Putting the info on the label is not a problem - it was done here with
over 60 LTO1 Tapes and never a problem. And again, part of our backup
procedures state that in the event of a major disaster, we need to identify
easily our most crital systems that need to be restored. In my case, we
label them from their corresponding volume pools - its no big deal, and
keeps everyone happy. Does not take that long either :-)

4) agreed, I have gone through an import of over 30 tapes and it was a
HEADACHE!!! Why did this happen? Because someone deleted the catalog, then
lost the tapes !!!!! Hence why I implemented off-site / on-site cat backups,
file level cat backups and ensure the catalog is intact and documented :-)

Hope this makes things clearer !

Regards

Simon Weaver
3rd Line Technical Support