Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Recognise Media from NBU

2006-11-09 13:50:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Recognise Media from NBU
From: pkeating at bank-banque-canada.ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 13:50:35 -0500
Absolutely.

When a tape is "full" or otherwise not needed, ship it out.
when you need it, call it back by barcode.

I've done this for years, even with Iron Mountain.
Everyday we'd kick out the "full" tapes, and run a vault report to see
what offsite tapes had exprired (gone back to scratch)
We give them a box of tapes every day, and request the "expired" ones to
be brought back.

when we start up a backup and it says a tape is needed that's not in the
library, we call Iron Mountain, and tell them what tape we want, and it
comes in with the next day's delivery or expired tapes....or sooner if
it's critical/time sensitive.

Slightly different here as we write to tape at two locations, and only
send out archive tapes....here we send out boxes of 20 tapes sealed with
a numbered tag......and keep a record of what barcodes belong to which
tag.....if we need a tape, we call back the whole box of 20.

once the tapes are kicked out of the library, it's just a random
barcode...I don't really care what's on each individual tape..that's
what the catalog is for.
I only keep track of which barcodes are catalog tapes......I can always
recover the catalog, adn that's all I need.

Paul