Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Recognise Media from NBU

2006-11-09 01:30:10
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Recognise Media from NBU
From: simon.weaver at astrium.eads.net (WEAVER, Simon)
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 06:30:10 -0000
Darren
Ok to prevent any further confusion..........

Tapes are in an ESL Robotic Library WITH barcodes :-)

Now, each month at least 40 - 50 tapes are taken out of the library, placed
in cases and stored in a safe.
On the outside case, they label the tape "MONTH XX" - So they know a backup
was performed at the end of each month.

The trouble they appear to be having...... When a restore is needed from a
month end tape, they have to go searching for the tape or tapes that are
needed.

Now. My argument to this would be to "Label the tape with the Month number
PLUS the volume pool it came from" - for example if it's a file server, the
volume would come from the "File_Server_Month_Pool" - However they cannot do
this as it's a time consuming task.

Now, my other argument was to "start a restore" which would then say in the
Activity Monitor "tape xxxxL3 required" - then they could load the tape. I
thought this would be ok, but again seems to be a problem for them.

So.... My question was "Is there an EASIER method or command that could be
used to identify what tape is needed for a restore BEFORE you actually start
the restore"? If not, then I see 2 options:

1) Use Activity Monitor and when prompted, load the applicable tape or tapes
2) Label the tape from the corresponding pool number

I should point out, this is not just a safe, its more like a vault with
THOUSANDS of tapes. Maybe the issue lies within the site (ie: better
organisation of tapes perhaps)?

Anyhow, that was the question.... I may have answered it myself, but if
there is another easy method ?

Thanks

Regards

Simon Weaver