Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] MySQL slowness when initializing new disk volume

2014-04-21 10:28:48
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] MySQL slowness when initializing new disk volume
From: Lloyd Brown <lloyd_brown AT byu DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 08:25:50 -0600

On 04/19/2014 09:10 PM, Alan Brown wrote:
> On 18/04/14 23:49, Lloyd Brown wrote:
>> Are the tables in MyISAM or InnoDB format?
>> At the moment, MyISAM.  I'd wondered if I could safely convert to
>> InnoDB, since that's generally going to have better locking
>> characteristics, etc.
> It's easy enough to change, but....
>
> How large are the tables? In particular how many entries do you have in
> the file table?
>
> MySQL is good, but it doesn't scale to large tables very well (even with
> Inno) so at some point there's a lot of benefit (reduced ram use) in
> switching to Postgres.

At the moment:

> mysql> select count(*) from File;
> +-----------+
> | count(*)  |
> +-----------+
> | 287794478 |
> +-----------+
> 1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Definitely more than I expected.  Although, I have to say, RAM usage on
this host isn't really much of a concern.  At the moment, the mysqld
process is only using just over 1GB of RAM, and this host has 128G.
Possibly I need to tune MySQL to keep more of the tables' contents in RAM.

Lloyd Brown
Systems Administrator
Fulton Supercomputing Lab
Brigham Young University