Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] MySQL slowness when initializing new disk volume

2014-04-24 13:17:29
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] MySQL slowness when initializing new disk volume
From: Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 12:14:13 -0500
On 04/24/2014 11:37 AM, Lloyd Brown wrote:
> Alan,
>
> I understand.  I've been meaning to get started with learning Postgres
> for several years, but there always seems to be something more urgent
> that takes my attention away.  At the moment, it's storage system
> failures, which is kinda a big deal, so for now I'll have to be content
> with the tuning's I've applied on MySQL.

Keep in mind that postgres is not made of silver bullets either: you
still need to give it enough ram, i/o, and cpu cores to get adequate
performance on large joins (e.g. building a list of backed up files form
a year's worth of backups of a few million files). However, IMO even if
you have to buy a complete new server for it, that's much cheaper than
dealing with mysql.

--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin