Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] MySQL slowness when initializing new disk volume

2014-04-18 13:34:25
Subject: [Bacula-users] MySQL slowness when initializing new disk volume
From: Lloyd Brown <lloyd_brown AT byu DOT edu>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 09:18:55 -0600
Hi, all.

I'm trying to diagnose some overall slowness issues with some of our
backups.  In this case, the SD, FD, and Dir, are all running on one
host.  The storage being backed up from is NFS (or similarly) mounted,
and the backup destination is some SAS-attached disks on this particular
host.

What I'm seeing is that when a new disk volume is initialized/created,
the output of "show storage" hangs up for several minutes, just after
the "Used Volume Status:" line.  It will return eventually, but it does
take 3-5 minutes at least.  During the same time, a "show full
processlist" on my mysql server (also the same host), shows one of the
connections cycling through a lot of queries that look like one of these
examples:

"SELECT 1 FROM JobMedia WHERE MediaId=11622 LIMIT 1"
"SELECT DISTINCT JobMedia.JobId FROM JobMedia,Job WHERE MediaId=11569
AND Job.JobId=JobMedia.JobId AND Job.JobTDate<1382281720"

Now, it's possible that the timing of the volume being initialized is
just coincidental with these queries.  The second query above has what
appears to be a timestamp that's approximately 180 days ago (which is
our overall retention period), so I assume it has something to do with
volume recycling.

Any thoughts here?  Any pointers that the Bacula gurus here want to pass
along, that might help me figure out what's going on?  Honestly, I'm not
sure what the right questions to ask are, let alone what config
information to share with you, etc.

For reference, this is on a RHEL 6.4 server with a couple of 8-core Ivy
Bridge EP processors, about 128 GB of RAM, and about 75 TB of disk.
Bacula version 5.2.13.

Thanks,
--
Lloyd Brown