Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Fwd: Thanks

2014-03-25 22:09:14
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Fwd: Thanks
From: Bill Arlofski <waa-bacula AT revpol DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 22:04:13 -0400
Hello everyone...

Being directly involved in what has been called a "typical IRC
experience", caused by "a few arrogant knobs", I'd like to chime in here
to say that by idling in #bacula 24/7/365 and having helped many, many
people with Bacula over time, what transpired yesterday
was partly my fault for attempting to participate while I was in the
middle of a complex, stressful multi-version Linux server upgrade
followed by an upgrade of the Zimbra service on said server.

In solidarity with Kern's dilemma of code theft etc, I made what I had
thought at the time was a reasonable comment to show that #1: I
(strongly) preferred to not help people running Bareos, and #2: I Made
sure to provide a direct link to the Kern's blog where WebDawg could
take some time to read and come back with questions etc...

--[snip]--
mtnbkr refuses to assist people asking for help with bareos - on
principal.  why? here's why: http://blog.bacula.org/category/bareos/
--[snip]--

However, my server upgrades took a turn for the worse, required all of
my attention, and my comment with the link to Kern's blog was the last
time I was in IRC until this morning when I saw what had transpired.

When webdawg came back after reading Kern's blog posts, it first looked
as if I was ignoring and shunning him due to my silence, which was
followed by comments by others. I thought those comments were a bit
uncharacteristic - especially from my years of experience in the #bacula
channel, and knowing that the people making said comments are also
_always_ very knowledgeable, patient, and helpful with everyone who
comes by for help.

When I stopped into the #bacula channel this morning an scrolled back to
see what I may have missed in my absence, I felt bad when I saw what
transpired, and wrote:

--[snip]--
" in my defense of not responding after I said I would not support
bareos in #bacula, I was in the middle of upgrading a client's Ubuntu
8.04.4 LTS server to 10.04.4LTS and then to 12.04LTS so that we could
upgrade their Zimbra email server from 7.2.5 to 8.0.6... Was VERY tied
up due to techical difficulties. Would have liked to have had the chance
to clarify and expound upon my comment to webdawg_ while he was here,
but I was not even in IRC after that, until just now.   And now I am
running out of the office.... :-/  Cheers!"
--[snip]--

And then I saw this mailing list thread later in the day.  :(

I want to say for the record that I have been on IRC for many years, and
while there are always issues, #bacula has been the single friendliest
and helpful channel I have ever been a part of and I am proud to say so.

Yesterday's events are so non-typical it is a little unexpected and
surprising, and I really hate to see the #bacula on freenode IRC be
grouped with all other "bad IRC experiences"

Perhaps the channel's topic can include a "...We would prefer to not
assist with Bareos questions - see this link to find out why:
http://blog.bacula.org/category/bareos/";

Then we can very politely point Bareos users to the topic and no one
will be offended.

I hope this helps to clarify the situation, and I hope it goes a little
ways towards changing peoples' minds about IRC.

#bacula is a friendly, helpful channel, join us.

Thanks for listening.

mtnbkr on Freenode...

--
Bill Arlofski