Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Fwd: Thanks

2014-03-25 21:13:34
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Fwd: Thanks
From: WebDawg <webdawg AT hackspherelabs DOT com>
To: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>, bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 15:07:31 -1000
Kern,

I plan to move over to Bacula as soon as I get a chance and that last comment was not directed just at bacula.  I was just unsure of any project related to bacula and did not want to get involved with stuff like this.  By alternative I meant avoiding bacula all together.  The response that I have gotten from this mailing list has been incredible considering what I wrote.

Thanks for the heads up on bareos development.  Being a recent discover of bacula it really does help considering I know very little about development of each and have never attended a talk about either.  I may have sounded offended but I just get tired of the negative attitudes generated from stuff like this. Reminded me about disagreements with distros and such.

One of the only reasons I brought it to the mailing list was because I think it is the wrong way to go especially with a new user.  I mean, there I was, learning to use bareos effectively, asking questions to satisfy my curiosity and ended up finding out that bareos was the wrong way to go.

In my mind I thought, carry on, and install bacula at the first chance.  In others minds I was to be shunned.

It is allright, and I get it, I just figure that instead of having the fight with the users, just take me at my word I would install bacula, and let this all play out between the people that matter.  I can understand all the work that went into this software and from the blog posts it seems things went pretty bad between the two projects.

I just have never seen any project, organization, or entity succeed when it attacks its own users and considering, in reality, I will be a baccula user if I move forward with this solution, it just did not seem right.

It also worries me to read this off of the blog:

This is also true for Bacula Systems, but is not at all the case for Bareos, because it contains (alleged) stolen code from Bacula Systems, plagiarized code from Bacula, and also plagiarized code from elsewhere on the net, as well as code that was submitted to Bacula but simply put into Bareos without permission of the author.  If you are using Bareos software, you might want to be sure you have some sort of indemnity or risk being surprised …

I see now that you are talking about how the code was also copied from other sources but at first read it seems like Bacula is going to take action against the users of bareos.

In the end this all comes down to myself being ignorant of this, learning about it, saying I will fix it, but still being told to screw off.  I know you guys can't control this, and I know IRC too.  It just seemed like a bad attitude from an official project channel that is supposed to be an official stop for live support.

Thanks,

Web....