Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Use modify time, not access time

2012-11-16 19:17:00
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Use modify time, not access time
From: "Gary R. Schmidt" <grs AT mcleod-schmidt.id DOT au>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 11:12:19 +1100
On 17/11/2012 3:05 AM, Dan Langille wrote:
> You mention that you checked mtime, and atime. What about ctime? FYI,
> Bacula, to my knowledge, does not backup depending up on atime.
Thinking about it - if you "mv" a directory somewhere, and then "mv" it
back, you have, effectively, created a new directory tree.

Without looking at the source code, if I was writing the scanner, at
*this* point I would mark that directory tree to be backed up, even if
the name is the same you cannot know that the content is identical, for
all you know that three was deleted and re-created.

Why bother walking a tree that is new, once you know it is new, you back
it up.

And, after backing up computers on-and-off for three decades, I worry
about not *enough* data being backed up, if I saw more than I had
expected, I would assume I had unrealistic expectations, examine my
assumptions again, and realise something like, "Such and such a process
touches (huge set of files) and tacks a line on the end of each, so of
course they all get backed up."  Or whatever.

The list of files getting backed up would be interesting, as would the
Job definitions and so on.

     Cheers,
         Gary    B-)