Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Use modify time, not access time

2012-11-16 11:05:03
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Use modify time, not access time
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: "Gary R, Schmidt" <grs AT mcleod-schmidt.id DOT au>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 11:01:18 -0500
On 2012-11-15 23:46, Gary R, Schmidt wrote:
> On 16.11.2012 13:52, Wouter van Marle wrote:
> [SNIP]
>> Result: yesterday I moved a big mail folder with subfolders, causing
>> the
> You *moved* a directory, and you are surprised that the files in it
> are
> being backed up?

If I recall correctly, this has long been described as a 'bug' by some,
but not as you describe.

 From
http://www.bacula.org/5.0.x-manuals/en/main/main/Configuring_Director.html

"In addition, if you move a directory rather than copy it, the files in
it do
not have their modification time (st_mtime) or their attribute change
time
(st_ctime) changed. As a consequence, those files will probably not be
backed
up by an Incremental or Differential backup which depend solely on
these time
stamps. If you move a directory, and wish it to be properly backed up,
it is
generally preferable to copy it, then delete the original."

What we are seeing here is the opposite of that.

> Bacula has never seen these files in that location before, if it
> *didn't* back them up that would be a total failure.

What is described above is not the expected behavior.  In fact, it's
the opposite
of the expected behavior, given that Bacula, by default, use mtime to
decide what
to backup with an incremental/differential.  It does not use 'have I
seen this file
here before'.  I believe that's an 'accurate backup' option.

--
Dan Langille - http://langille.org/