Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Use modify time, not access time

2012-11-16 11:09:38
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Use modify time, not access time
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: Wouter van Marle <wouter AT squirrel-systems DOT com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 11:05:57 -0500
On 2012-11-15 21:52, Wouter van Marle wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a big problem with Bacula and the backup of my Cyrus mail
> store:
> it is backing up way too much.
>
> When doing incremental it's supposed to look at modify time (which
> for
> many mails - one file per e-mail - is months or years past), but it
> appears to look at the access time instead.
>
> Result: yesterday I moved a big mail folder with subfolders, causing
> the
> access time but not the modify time of all contents to change, and
> now
> Bacula is backing up everything. Looking at the restore function in
> bconsole, I see the file time given is the access time, not the
> modify
> time.
>
> When doing `ls -la` I see the original modify time, long time ago.
> When doing `ls -lu` I see the access time, which is the time these
> mail
> boxes were moved (yesterday).
> And when doing `dir` in `bconsole` the time that I see is the access
> time; not the modify time!
>
> How to stop this unnecessary backup? It's annoying and wasting disk
> space.

 From:
http://www.bacula.org/5.0.x-manuals/en/main/main/Configuring_Director.html

"The File daemon (Client) decides which files to backup for an
Incremental backup
by comparing start time of the prior Job (Full, Differential, or
Incremental)
against the time each file was last "modified" (st_mtime) and the time
its attributes
were last "changed"(st_ctime). If the file was modified or its
attributes changed
on or after this start time, it will then be backed up."

You mention that you checked mtime, and atime.  What about ctime?

FYI, Bacula, to my knowledge, does not backup depending up on atime.

--
Dan Langille - http://langille.org/