Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Use modify time, not access time

2012-11-16 15:12:04
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Use modify time, not access time
From: lst_hoe02 AT kwsoft DOT de
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 21:07:18 +0100
Zitat von Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>:

> On 2012-11-15 23:46, Gary R, Schmidt wrote:
>> On 16.11.2012 13:52, Wouter van Marle wrote:
>> [SNIP]
>>> Result: yesterday I moved a big mail folder with subfolders, causing
>>> the
>> You *moved* a directory, and you are surprised that the files in it
>> are
>> being backed up?
>
> If I recall correctly, this has long been described as a 'bug' by some,
> but not as you describe.
>
>  From
> http://www.bacula.org/5.0.x-manuals/en/main/main/Configuring_Director.html
>
> "In addition, if you move a directory rather than copy it, the files in
> it do
> not have their modification time (st_mtime) or their attribute change
> time
> (st_ctime) changed. As a consequence, those files will probably not be
> backed
> up by an Incremental or Differential backup which depend solely on
> these time
> stamps. If you move a directory, and wish it to be properly backed up,
> it is
> generally preferable to copy it, then delete the original."
>
> What we are seeing here is the opposite of that.
>
>> Bacula has never seen these files in that location before, if it
>> *didn't* back them up that would be a total failure.
>
> What is described above is not the expected behavior.  In fact, it's
> the opposite
> of the expected behavior, given that Bacula, by default, use mtime to
> decide what
> to backup with an incremental/differential.  It does not use 'have I
> seen this file
> here before'.  I believe that's an 'accurate backup' option.

You are right. On second thought it is more obvious that st_ctime is
*not* changed because the inode pointing to the directory is changed
on move, not the directory inode itself i guess. So maybe the OP has
done a "mv" across mount points? On what filesystem was this behaviour
observed by the way?

Regards

Andreas