Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Win32 FD / Write error sending N bytes to Storage daemon

2011-06-07 12:14:09
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Win32 FD / Write error sending N bytes to Storage daemon
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 12:10:37 -0400
On 6/7/2011 5:40 AM, Yann Cézard wrote:
> Le 06/06/2011 19:56, Josh Fisher a écrit :
>> Try setting "Maximum Network Buffer Size" to 32768 in both the storage
>> daemon and client configs. It looks like something doesn't like the
>> default 65536 buffer size.
>>
>> Also, a backup job can run a long time, and Bacula keeps the TCP
>> connections open the entire time. Make sure a switch isn't timing out a
>> TCP connection when it shouldn't. You may also want to look up the
>> "Heartbeat Interval" setting in the Bacula docs.
> Thanks for your answer Josh.
> But I had already tried that, the Network Buffer Size has no effect on
> the error. I just tried again to be sure it was well tested, and :
>
> 07-juin 11:24 msadpau-fd JobId 2670: Error:
> /home/kern/bacula/k/bacula/src/lib/bsock.c:393 Write error sending 32768
> bytes to Storage daemon:backuppa:9103: ERR=Input/output error
>

> I also tried to define the Heartbeat Interval (in client/SD/DIR), no effect.
> And that's not a surprise, I have a reproductible failing job that fail
> in a few minutes, so not a question of a long time backup here.
> I don't think any switch is timing out the connection because :
>    - I have linux clients on same switch, no problem with them
>    - one of the Win32 client is an active directory + file server, never
> had network
>      problem until now, bacula is the only app that has network problem
> with it.
>      other win32 clients hosts network services, and no problem so far.
>
> I'll create a test backup server witch bacula 2.4 and see if the problem
> occured on the same fileset. The fact is that I never had so much failing
> jobs with 2.4, sometimes it happened that jobs failed with network errors,
> but it was on very rare occasions, and with distants clients, over networks
> that sometimes have problems. Now it's almost systematic, and even on
> local network

Another problem I see with Windows 7 clients is too aggressive power
management turning off the Ethernet interface even though it is in use
by bacula-fd. Apparently there is some Windows system call that a
service (daemon) must make to tell Windows not to do power management
while it is busy. I don't know what versions of Windows do that, other
than 7 and Vista, but it is a potential problem.