Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Mistaken append of job to media

2011-06-07 12:17:28
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Mistaken append of job to media
From: Rory Campbell-Lange <rory AT campbell-lange DOT net>
To: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 17:14:06 +0100
On 07/06/11, Phil Stracchino (alaric AT metrocast DOT net) wrote:
> On 06/07/11 09:59, Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:
> > I've written job 329 after job 315 on the same tape (CLW112L4). See below
> >
> > Two questions:
> >
> >     * can I wipe the data pertaining to job 329 off tape CLW112L4 ?
> >       (I assume by using mt commands -- how can I find the block number
> >        to start writing zeros from?)
>
> Not safely, no.  But you could migrate the second job to a different
> volume, or delete the job and re-run it to a different volume.

Does deleting the job remove the data (in this case the data for job
329) off the tape? That is what I need to do.

> >     * how can I stop this "Append" problem happening again?
>
> If you're working on the basis that no tape should ever have more than
> one job on it, then simply set  "Maximum Volume Jobs = 1" in the Pool.
> You will have to update the Pool from the resource, then all the Volumes
> from the Pool.  Keep in mind, though, that this does mean you will only
> ever be able to have one job running at once to that storage device.

Great, thanks for the tip. Since the storage device is a tape library I
don't expect to have more than one job running to it at once.

Thanks very much for your advice.

--
Rory Campbell-Lange
rory AT campbell-lange DOT net